
I lied when I said we had our last group trip because on Tuesday we made an afternoon trek to the Valley of the Fallen. This monument was constructed at the orders of the dictator Francisco Franco to commemorate fallen fascists during the Spanish Civil war. Most of the labor was done at gunpoint by captured enemies and political prisoners. The monument also contains a basilica carved out of the mountain below the cross. Inside is overbearingly spacious, dark and sinister. Knowing what the place represented, I found it to be creepy, but I’m glad we went because it reflects a darker history of Spain that not everyone gets to see. Franco is also buried inside the Basilica. Someone had laid flowers on his tomb when we were there.
Mentiré cuando dije que tuvimos nuestro ultimo viaje porque tuvimos un viaje el martes al Valle de los Caídos. Este monumento fue constuido por Francisco Franco para comemorar los fascistas caidos durante la guerra civil española. La mayoria del trabajo fue completado por cautivos enemigos y prisioneros politicos. El monumento tambien tiene un basilica en la montaña bajo el cruz. El interior tiene mucho espacio y es muy oscuro y siniestro. Entendiendo lo que representa el lugar, me asustó, pero me alegró que fuimos porque refleja una historia oscura de españa que muchos no ven. Franco está enterrido en la basilica también. Alguien había dejado flores cuando estamos alli.
Photo: The cross and entrance to the Basilica from the outside. Few people were there when we went. Many Spaniards refuse to visit the place.
Foto: El cruz y entrada a la Basilica. Poca gente están alli cuando estamos. Muchos españoles no irán.
Lesson: Una bola de helado (oon-a) (bohl-a) (day) (ay-law-doh)- A scoop of ice cream. I’ve been doing this stupid thing were I get ice cream in every city we visit. I don’t know how or why it started, but I sure enjoy ice cream. Ex. Quiero una bola de chocolate en una taza. I want a scoop of chocolate in a cup.
News: Really the only other thing in the news these days besides the truckers is the Eurocup. Spain, one of the favorites to win, has one both of its games so far and has already qualified for the quarterfinals. However the most exciting team to watch has been Turkey. In the last game the turks were losing 2-0 with fifteen minutes to play and came back to win 3-2. In the game before they broke a 1-1 tie with a goal in stoppage time.
Noticias: Además los camioneros, la única otra cosa en las noticias estos días es la Eurocopa. España, unos de los favoritos, ha ganado ambos de sus partidos y ya ha cualificado por los quartos. Sin embargo, el equipo más divertido mirar ha estado Turquia. En el último partido, estában pirdiendo 2-0 con 15 minutos más en el partido y ganó 3-2. En el otro partido, ellos rompieron un empate de 1-1 con un gol en el ultimo minuto.
Cultural Difference: I have none left. Life really isn’t so different here. Plus I feel nervous generalizing Spanish culture too much.
Diferencia Cultural: No tengo nada más. La vida no es tan diferente aqui. También yo siento nervioso, generalizando la cultura española.
Fact: A lot of people ride motorcycles here, but there aren’t that many freewheeling biker rebels with super-loud Harleys. Most people tool around on their vespas or kawasakis in there business suits on their way to work. Everyone wears a helmet though.
Hecho: Mucha gente montan motos aqui, pero no hay la misma rebelde cultura. La mayoria de gente montan sus vespas o kawasakis en su trajes conmutando a trabajo. Todos llevan un casco.
No comments:
Post a Comment